Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Virginia Beach?
In many ways, smart devices like surveillance systems and video doorbells have enhanced our security. We have the ability to get updates whenever a visitor arrives at our front porch, and we can have footage delivered to us when questionable movements are found. Having components we can communicate with over the internet advises us to prospective threats instantaneously. But there is one main drawback. The quick access we enjoy is also opening a door online invasions.
While you shouldn’t get yourself in a panic agonizing over smart home hacking in Virginia Beach, you need to be cognizant of the potential danger and implement a plan to circumvent it.
Methods To Block Smart Home Hacking
It would seem that just about everything is linked to the internet today - home security devices, televisions, and even your home appliances like ranges and coffee makers. The drawback is that this creates more opportunities for virtual villains to sneak into your network. Even so, you don’t need to eschew wireless home security systems or other smart components. Alternatively, consider these tips and do what you can to keep intruders off your network.
- Create strong passwords: This is a must for every account, especially your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Avoid birthdays, street names, or anything else hackers may easily guess. A password creator will give you something completely random and a password manager may aid you in keeping tabs on your different accounts and passwords.
- Update default settings: When you first unbox your new router, it’s likely to come with a standard password to facilitate the setup. Change it. Hackers may have these default passwords too. Setting up your private network and home router properly at the start is critical in keeping you protected.
- Create separate networks: Why put your smart oven, your home security components, and your home computer on the same network? The majority of routers will let you initiate a distinct guest network. Take advantage of it and protect personal data present on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for business settings. They can also be incorporated into your personal network. Firewalls will pay close attention to your network’s traffic and stop suspect activity. You could start with a router with an incorporated firewall.
- Choose the latest encryption standards and security protocols: If you have a newer router, you might have the chance to utilize WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If not, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You should look for home security components that use 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure software and firmware is up-to-date: Keep your operating systems up to date for all components, including your integrated camera surveillance. In some cases, these updates will address various susceptibilities and improve your network security.
Be Wary of Lower Quality Smart Home Equipment In Virginia Beach
Leading companies like ADT and Amazon have their status to protect and will quickly make an effort to fix a security issue in their devices. Other lesser-known options may not act in the same fashion. Getting your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and other components from one reputable company like ADT is a wise choice. And deciding to have all of your equipment installed at once will help ensure proper integration, operation, and security. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, uses two-way encryption when communicating with your connected equipment.
Request Your Own Virginia Beach Home Defense Package
As you now have a greater understanding on how to keep your home network shielded from hackers, it’s time to start on your own home defense system in Virginia Beach. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to find the ideal package for your home. Call (757) 241-4673 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.